What are the causes of data corruption in quickbooks & how to fix
If it is connected to any external reporting program, a corrupt file can cause additional problems for you. If those programs use automatic sync managers to connect to QuickBooks, then possibly those programs also face incorrect reporting or failures in the sync process. The good news is that you can fix Data Corruption in quickbooks using the tools provided within the quickbooks Software program, however, it is advisable to fix corruption without reducing the size of your data file. The problem will return.
How to fix quickbooks data corruption issue
- To prevent permanent loss of your data, make a separate backup or file copy of your data file before verification or reconstruction.
- Run the quickbooks Verify Data function. This will confirm data corruption in quickbooks and recommend rebuild data. (Note: The file must be in single-user mode when running the verified data process.)
- Run the quickbooks Rebuild Data function. This process essentially separates all the data in the file and reproduces it in the correct order.
- Run the quickbooks Verify Data function again. If the verification is complete, test the file by running the reports that were showing errors to see if they are OK. If errors still exist, the most likely is corrupt data (not just data that is out of order).
How to identify data corruption
Once you complete the previously verified data and reconstruct data steps, you need to review the logs that quickbooks has created for the data validation you have done. These logs will indicate any items or transactions that are causing problems. With this information, you can go back and remove or replace contaminated items. Continue the log and address until the file is verified.
How to prevent data corruption again
According to Intuit standards, if your file size is more than 200MB for QuickBooks Pro or 450MB for quickbooks Enterprise, you should reduce your file size. You have options:
- Use the File Summary functionality to reduce your file size.
- Create journal entries summarizing monthly activity before customer segmentation. This method will usually require some cleaning of the balance sheet later.
- Remove all transactions before a certain date. While more effective than before, this method takes longer to perform as it requires full initial balance and entry of once outstanding AP, AR, and banking.
- Start a new QuickBooks file with an opening balance. This will provide the most significant reduction in file size, but understandably, it also requires the most time to complete.